This document systematizes responses to the various issues which the state college aimed to address in relation to its function as higher education institution namely extension services. Extension services refer to the corporate social responsibility of a state college to its state funded higher education. Over the years, all state funded higher education is provided with this service and encountered several issues and challenges along the way. Learning from these experiences the present document systematically outlines the more strategic solutions that may be adopted.
Most of the HEIs faculties are not aware with their inherent functions. They are always exposed to instruction and research and are seldom immerse in actual community problem. Thus, reorientation is needed especially in extension program. The extension program of SUCs is independent to its research and instructional functions and most of the SUCs are starting complementing the extension program and services however there is no comprehensive impact evaluation on its effects.
Through the NMSCST extension program, people are empowered with appropriate knowledge, attitudes and skills, thereby, catering to various aspects of the community such as economic growth, promotion of health, environmental management and social transformation. It aspires for exemplary performance to be an effective instrument of the government in improving the quality of people's life through its relevant extension programs and projects. The college adopts the progressing evolution of scientific knowledge and technological skills to meet the ever-changing and dynamic needs of the present society thereby contributing to national development and advancement of human race in general.
An empowered and progressive community that embraces the value of indigenous resources for sustainable livelihood and total human development.
Provide opportunities within everone's reach.
NMSCST Extension Principles
- Extension is a two-way link between the extension practitioner and the community clients.
- Extension links the community with research and instruction.
- Extension cooperates with other community development organizations.
- Effective communication process takes place within extension systems.
- Extension must promote technologies which are market led and whose products are demand driven.
- Extension aims for total human development, thus its intervention is three dimensional that is improving knowledge, attitudes and skills of its clientele.